BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

car is completely dead

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  BigCo540i 
#1 ·
So I'm sitting down enjoying pre Thanksgiving festivities when my alarm sounds
I casually get up assuming that a gremlin is the culprit. Before I get outside the alarm stops. So when I put the key in the door nothing happens. As of now I can't open the doors or trunk. Does anyone have an idea of how I can get into the car?

#2 ·
Turn the key firmly to the left on both driver's door and trunk. They will both magically open.

The alarm sounded because the battery died. Get it checked.

#3 ·
The alarm sounded because the battery died.
That's a new one to me. My battery has "died" a whole bunch of times, and I never heard an alarm.

Wonderful if it's the case ... so I'll read this thread with interest to see the details.

#5 · (Edited)
(EDIT: with all that I said below...one must also consider if the car's battery's loss of voltage is due to a consistent state of discharge from age or time...or is it not being sufficiently recharged by the alternator...thus making it a victim of the charging system, instead of the overall culprit)

Since the car's alarm siren has a rechargeable battery incorporated into it's design...if the car's battery's voltage has dropped to the point that it can't keep up with all the car's electronic needs...the car can basically go thru a "rolling brown out".

Then if the alarm siren's battery voltage drops due to it's internal battery not being kept fully charged...it will take that drop as a sign that someone has cut power to the car and is trying to steal it.

So in some instances...a false alarm can be triggered by a drop in voltage from the car's battery. It's one of the things one should check (car battery) if faced with a rash of false alarms. Also take note if ONLY the alarm is sounding and the LIGHTS are NOT flashing...this is a good sign that the problem is more than likely the car's battery (since when the alarm is actually triggered under normal circumstances, the LIGHTs as well as the SIREN should be activated.

#6 ·
Thanks for reminding me about that procedure Edjack, I would have read my owners manual but it was locked in the car.

The Interstate battery that's in the car is over 6 years old so it looks like a Duralast Gold is now on my Black Friday shopping list.

#7 ·
You might want to check the battery specs. Some 49 class size batteries and possibly some of the newer H8 or H9 class size batteries may have better specs.

Remember to compare:
  • RC -reserve capacity
  • CA - cold cranking amps
  • CCA - cold cranking amps

The Duralast 49 DL may be the better buy over the Duralast Gold 95R...but again, check the specs and see which one works better for you.

#9 ·
Good points Q, I'll be sure to get the best bang for my buck.

CN you are usually on point so I will probably end up with the 49DL.
I just bought the duralast 49dl a few days ago. It fits fine and works great. I have no complaints with it yet.

#12 ·
I paid $94.99 + tax with a core exchange.

#14 ·
Glad it worked out...and thank you for validating the tip that some AutoZone's will price match. Gotta stick that one in my mental rolodex. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.