BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E36 Roof vinyl DIY!!!!1!!!!!

20K views 52 replies 26 participants last post by  akibo 
#1 ·
OMG!

Step Uno...

With awesome form and dedication wash the vehicluar, in this case, an E36 325is leaving the specimen squeaky clean to the point where you can't directly stare at it in direct sunlight...

Step Dos...

Obtain an empty spray bottle and empty it...:confused:

Fill it up with water and add a smidgen of hand soap...shake vigorously for 7 to 190 minutes to mix thoroughly...

Label thusly...

Step Tree...

Take your vinyl and with swift hands lay that sh*t down...

Step Floor...

Take your soap n' water and spray the roof liberally to prevent sticking...

Step Fyve...

Realize you were supposed to take the white paper off first and get it wet making it stick to the vinyl when you peel it off...

Take a credit card, assume the position, and start removing as much as possible while mouthing a few curse words...

Step Sicks...

When you're done getting the white paper off...respray the roof with soap and re-apply vinyl..
st

Step Slevin...

Apply squeegy working your way from the middle to the out...

Step Ate...

With precise precision and ultra sharp razor blade, trim the excess vinyl...

Perfect form is a must...

Step Nein...

Almost done

Step 10...

Fail at getting the ends to stick leaving you with Evo Style spoilers...

Step 11...

Initiate test drive mode...

LOL at the flapping vinyl...

Step 12...

With hand, re-apply vinyl...

Step 13...

Accept defeat and peel off vinyl, crumple into spherical shape and apply onto roof.

Step 14...

While eating Pita Chips...contemplate deeply (DEEEPLY) on how much fail that was...

YAY!

The End...

Love,
-R

See less See more
#3 ·
BWAHAHAHA :lmao:

Sama takes the best pics lol

I'm kinda glad that it didn't work out, blackroof=panda_fail

#4 ·
good write up!!
I see that you attempted this by yourself, to do this project right you need more hands as many as you can get... I vinyled my brothers protege about a month ago, it turned out okay, and even then I accepted defeat

#5 ·
Best part... "With hand re-apply vinyl" :lmao:

Must admit... although it was a complete waste of time.... that was ridiculously fun :thumbup:

And Alan... yes, i didnt like the black roof look :dunno:

#7 ·
Yeah you never know until you try it. Amanda and I were literally LOL-in at the write up! Nice work guys

#10 ·
Beautiful. Well played. Looks great.

The invisible vinyl mod is FTW! :D

#29 ·
yes... but I didnt do it lol
Oh man fail. I was thinking about putting a vinyl on my hood to try to hide some of the imperfections. I was hoping this DIY would give me the confidence to try it but after seeing that... maybe I should go a different route.
ur hood? or your roof?

#28 ·
Oh man fail. I was thinking about putting a vinyl on my hood to try to hide some of the imperfections. I was hoping this DIY would give me the confidence to try it but after seeing that... maybe I should go a different route.

#30 ·
My hood. My car is already all black so if I did the roof I would have to something other than a dark color. I don't know how a lighter color roof would look on a black car, could be cool. Probably won't try it anytime soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.