BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Diamond Key programming after battery replacement

11K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dannyc9997 
#1 ·
I've read up on how you can replace the battery in a diamond key (here and here) but in the programming procedure it's always described as being done with two keys. Well, I only have one master and its battery is the one I'm replacing.

Will this still work or should I not even bother with it and take it to the stealership?

Thanks for your input...

#2 ·
I just had mine done today. Simply place the diamond key in the ignition and turn it to position II and keep there for about 2 or so seconds. Next remove the key, hold it in front of you, press and hold the Unlock key, then tap the Lock key three times. You should see the door locks close. Just like that.

#3 ·
some corrections and some instructions :)

...Simply place the diamond key in the ignition and turn it to position II ...
Almost correct. :) Key must be turned to POSITION 1...(not position 2). ;)

... in the programming procedure it's always described as being done with two keys. Well, I only have one master and its battery is the one I'm replacing.

Will this still work or should I not even bother with it and take it to the stealership?

Thanks for your input...
Not sure why or where you read you NEED two keys to initialize...perhaps you're confusing the fact that IF you have two keys...they BOTH need to be done in the same session...if not, the one NOT reinitialized won't lock/unlock the doors and set the alarm (remotely)...but it will STILL start the car. But if you only have one remote key...just follow the procedure below:

#5 ·
Hey thanks you guys. I really appreciate it! Yeah, I inferred that you needed two keys since all the topics discussing it gave instructions for two. I get it now. I was really worried that the second key magically added to the process.

Danny, I remember reading that some people hold the key up closer to their left ear (I think it was) so that it is closer to the antenna built into the car. Do you think it could be something that simple?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.