BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Replaced Diamond Key Battery

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  QSilver7 
#1 · (Edited)
Key was dead because of a bad battery. I pryed open the case to find the Batt spot welded in place. Used a jeweler's screwdriver and a lil elbow grease to pop the welds. (took about 15 min to do both welds. If you succed without breaking the contacts... repleace with Rayovac CR2016. Use a lil glue to hold the batt in place (rubber cement or like NOT SUPER GLUE!) and glue shut with super glue or your choice.

Reprogram per instructions on this site and you are done!:thumbup:

Link to another post with instructions: http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8043
1) Get in and close all doors.
2) Turn on the ingition and turn off quickly. (No more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds.
3) Remove the 1st key.
4) Hold the key up near your left shoulder (this is so it is closer to the remote reciever antenna - someone else suggested this).
5) Hold down the unlock button (which is button 1 on my key) and press the lock button 3 times (center button on my key). Release the unlock button and the doors lock which confirms the operation.

See less See more
#3 ·
It worked for me...

#4 ·
That's the wrong battery.

Details are in the following threads.
- How to replace the old-style BMW E39 square key battery (1) (2) & how to replace the rubber key pads in the old style square keys (1) (2) & where to send your bmw diamond key for repair (1) (2) & what battery to use in the diamond key (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & square key to diamond key makeover and transponder retrofit (1) (2) & how to recharge your key out of your BMW and how long a BMW key will last in the drawer before it needs that off-the-car recharging (1) & converting the old-style square key to the newer diamond shaped key (1) & the details on swapping the BMW diamond key transponder (1) & what else can go wrong with your diamond key other than the battery (1) (2) (3) & proper diamond key initializing (1) (2) (3) & what to do if your key is locked inside your bimmer (1) & a description of the various types of BMW Remote, Illuminated, Spare/Wallet, & Valet/Service keys (1) (2) & a list of diamond key EWS, FZV, & DWA functions (1) (2) & all about the 10-key limit to programming your own keys at home (1) & a description of the ignition key ISN (individual serial number) ten-second rule (1) & what to do if you lost your only diamond key (1) or what to do if your BMW key was stolen (1)

#6 · (Edited)
The VL 2020 is the right one. I am having trouble programming my diamond key however. I have read different methods and still no go. Does anyone here know the PROPER procedure?
Yep...the instructions get posted just about every week: :)

BTW, if there's an issue with your central locking system (like a blown fuse ...especially the one for the fuel filler flap located in the trunk's fuse box)....the remote functions will usually stop functioning. Also....make sure that your new battery is charged up enough to perform the job.

TIPS:
  • KL R = ignition position 1 (not position 2)
  • Make sure ALL doors are unlocked
  • Make sure ALL doors are closed
  • Only insert the 1st remote key into the ignition, then pull it out just prior to pressing the buttons in STEP #3
  • Make sure you have ALL remote keys present during the session...any remote NOT present will no longer lock/unlock & arm/disarm the car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.